Agua Fresca is a refreshing mix of water and fresh fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds and even flowers.
Agua Fresca means “fresh water” in Spanish. And it is so refreshing. It exactly what you need to have with spicy foods.
Agua Fresca is a Mexican non-alcoholic beverage like a sweetened infused water. It is made with fresh fruit, seeds, and even flowers like hibiscus and rose hips. It is like a fruit juice, but lighter and sweeter.
It can be thick like a smoothie unless you filter the pulp. If you add chia seeds, they will become gelatinous, creating a thicker drink.
Fruit to Water Ratio
You can make agua fresca with any fruit or combination of fruit, as well as vegetables like cucumber or celery.
The classic ratio is 2 cups of fresh water to 1 cup of fruit. This makes a nice, light beverage. If you prefer a more fruity taste, you can increase the fruit.
The traditional way to serve is to put ice in the pitcher and pour rather than having ice in the glasses.
Agua Fresca Mexican Infused Water RecipesCourse: BeveragesCuisine: Mexican
You will need: a blender, a bowl with a spout and a large sieve
2 tablespoons warm water
4 cups cold, fresh water
2 cups cubed, chilled fresh fruit
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- Taste the fruit. If it is very sweet, you may want to add less sugar and adjust later.
- Dissolve sugar in warm water so it will mix better.
- In a blender puree water, sugar, and fruit until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a pitcher or serving container. (If you prefer it to not be as thick as a smoothie, pour through a large sieve into a bowl with a spout and then pour into pitcher.)
- Stir in lime juice.
- Taste and add additional sugar if necessary.