Welcome autumn with an apple crisp recipe featuring walnuts and pears, served with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with caramel.
Amazing when served warm, so romantic and heart warming when shared.
Apple Pear Walnut Crisp
Walnut Crisp Topping:
- 1½ c California walnuts, divided
- ¼ c flour
- ⅓ c brown sugar
- ½ c quick-cooking oats
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ c butter, chilled and sliced into 1-tablespoon pieces
Apple Pear Filling:
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 D’Anjou pears, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- ½ c sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- caramel sauce (optional)
To make walnut crisp topping:
- In food processor, pulse 1 cup walnuts until finely ground.
- In small bowl, combine ground walnuts, flour, brown sugar, oats and cinnamon. Cut butter into mixture until coarse crumb forms.
- Coarsely chop remaining walnuts and stir into crumb mixture until incorporated. Set aside.
To make apple pear filling:
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In bowl, toss apples, pears, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and lemon juice.
- Place fruit mixture in bottom of 10-inch cast-iron pan or baking dish.
- Sprinkle walnut crisp topping mixture over fruit.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until fruit mixture is hot and bubbly and topping is golden brown.
- Top with ice cream and drizzled with caramel sauce, if desired.
Recipe courtesy California Walnuts
Want more? See all of our apple pie recipes.
Want more? See all of our autumn recipes.
See our autumn recipe collection with favorites like pumpkin pies and everything pumpkin spice, and a list of recipes by ingredient for fruits and vegetables harvested in the fall.
Want even more? See our new autumn recipes.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.