Black Forest Cake has long been a tradition for special occasions. Here is the recipe (with video instructions) that makes it easy to bake your own. Show the love with a home-baked black forest cake.
Why is it called Black Forest Cake?
Some think it is named after the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) mountain range in Germany, but it is not.
The cake is named after Schladerer Schwarzwalder Kirschwasser Black Forest Cherry Brandy* made in that region and used in the making of Black Forest Cakes.
Kirschwasser is distilled from black, fully ripened morello cherries of the Black Forest.
“Known as Kirsch, this product is genuine only when it is distilled from cherries native to the Black Forest.”
What is the difference between chocolate cake and Black Forest Cake?
Chocolate cake can be decorated in any way you wish, but Black Forest Cake is always made with cherries and the chocolate cake layers have a filling with either cherry juice, Kirschwasser cherry brandy, or a combination of the two. It is usually decorated with stabilized whipped cream, cherries and chocolate shavings.
Video Tutorial for Overview
- 1/2 cup Domino Golden Sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water or unsweetened cherry juice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart (Montmorency) cherries
- 2 tablespoons cherry brandy (optional)
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Domino Golden Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
Stabilized Whipped Cream:
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups (1 pint) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Domino Golden Sugar
- chocolate curls or shavings, for garnish (optional)
- To make cherry filling: In medium saucepot, whisk sugar and cornstarch with water or juice then bring to boil over medium heat. Stir in cherries and cherry brandy, if desired, and boil 2-3 minutes, stirring, until sauce is thick and translucent. Drain cherries from sauce and set both aside.
- To make cake layers: Heat oven to 350 F.
- Line bottoms of three 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Grease and flour bottoms and sides.
- In medium bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar 2 minutes on medium speed. Add eggs and vanilla; beat 1 minute. Stir in flour mixture and buttermilk.
- Pour batter evenly among cake pans and bake 20-22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool and remove layers from pans.
- To make stabilized whipped cream: In small pan or microwaveable bowl, combine gelatin and cold water; allow gelatin to bloom. Heat until gelatin melts and dissolves; set aside.
- In chilled bowl, whip cream with chilled beaters until soft peaks form. Add sugar and gelatin; beat until stiff.
- Prick tops of two bottom layers with fork and brush cherry filling over layers. Sandwich bottom layers with a 1/4-inch-thick spread of stabilized whipped cream. Sandwich second and top layer with same whipped cream. Spread remaining whipped cream over top layer and sides.
- Garnish with shaved chocolate, if desired, and decorate with any remaining whipped cream.
- Either tart or sweet cherries can be used in this recipe but the tart Montmorency cherry is most traditional.
- Maraschino or glacé cherries can be used for garnish, as well.
- Buttermilk can be made by adding 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon white vinegar to 1 ½ cups of milk
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 533Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 87mgSodium 720mgCarbohydrates 85gFiber 2gSugar 60gProtein 8g
We provide nutritional information but these figures should be considered estimates as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Domino Golden Sugar
It’s your turn. Tell us what you think.
Did you make this Black Forest Cake recipe? Add a photo in the comments so we can see!