No one is indifferent to the egg salad sandwich. They either love ’em or hate ’em. These are the best egg salad sandwich recipes ever. If you are on team Egg Salad, welcome home. If you hate them, just try one bite. These recipes – and egg salad sandwich tips – will make you a believer.
How to hard boil an egg the Bobby Flay way.
Tips from a pro who knows to make hard boiled eggs without the green over-cooked look. Perfect, velvety yolks.
- Cover eggs with cold water in small saucepan and bring just to a boil over high heat.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, cover pan and let stand 15 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold water or place in bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
Can be made 1 day in advance and refrigerated in the shell.
Easy, breezy way to cook eggs.
DASH Rapid Egg Cooker* is a 6 egg electric Egg Cooker for hard boiled eggs, poached eggs, scrambled eggs, or make omelets with auto shut off. Available in several colors.
Includes a poaching tray, omelet tray, 6 egg holder tray, measuring cup, recipe book and recipe database access (all non-electric parts are dishwasher safe).
4.7* rating from 103,000+ reviews, #1 Best Seller.
The ingenious, easy way to cut hard boiled eggs from the Pioneer Woman.
On her facebook page, Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond shares an ingenious idea.
To cut a lot of hard boiled eggs quickly and easily for her egg salad, she places a cooling rack over a bowl and presses her eggs through it.
This makes long, thin egg whites as well as smaller pieces.
Easy way to chop hard boiled egg for gorgeous egg salad.
- 8 grade 420 stainless steel blades and food-grade bpa-free materials
- 3 different sized chopper blades and 5 interchangeable blades for slicing, julienne, grating & shredding
4.5* rating from 13,000 reviews, #1 best seller for egg choppers.
Why you shouldn’t overcook the eggs.
Overcooked hard boiled eggs are the reason people don’t like egg salad sandwiches. The yolk gets a greeny tinge that’s not appetizing – unless you’re Dr Suess. The eggs actually get a sulfurous smell. Yuck! And overcooked eggs is the main reason for watery egg salad. So don’t overcook the eggs.
How many eggs do you need for an egg salad sandwich?
The rule of thumb is that you need 2 eggs per egg salad sandwich.
So, if you are making one sandwich for yourself, you need 2 hard boiled eggs. If you’re make two sandwiches, one for you and one for a lucky friend, you need 4 eggs.
You get it – easy math. (The two times table was always my favorite.)
How do you keep egg salad from getting watery?
First, don’t overcook the eggs. Second, don’t let them sit unrefrigerated. Be sure to chill the eggs before chopping and mixing with other ingredients, especially mayo from the fridge. After making the egg salad, chill in the fridge in an air tight container for 30 minutes before making sandwiches. (Some of the water can also be from condensation on plastic wrap over the bowl if you put warm egg salad in the fridge.)
How much mayo do you put in egg salad?
Most egg salad recipes call for 1 Tbsp of mayonnaise per egg. Or, 1/4 c for 4 eggs. 1/2 c for 8 eggs.
But mayo has been up for much debate lately. You need mayo to bind the egg together. But how much is enough, and how much is too much especially for those with cholesterol and calorie concerns?
If you want to use less mayonnaise, begin with chunkier egg pieces. Fine egg crumble requires more mayo to bind them together.
Worried about the cholesterol in an egg salad sandwich?
- start with less mayonnaise, using just enough to bind the egg pieces
- use plain Greek yogurt instead of mayo, or 1/2 mayo & 1/2 yogurt
- use less egg yolk (will affect appearance/color)
Worried about calories in an egg salad sandwich?
- have an open faced sandwich with one slice of bread or 1/2 English muffin
- serve piled on healthy crackers topped with slivered veggies like appetizers
- use less egg salad and more veggies as toppings like lettuce, radish slices, tomato slices, red pepper, cilantro, pea sprouts
- stuff an avocado with egg salad rather than using bread at all
- serve in Bibb lettuce cups instead of bread
How do you fix too much mayo in egg salad?
When you have too much mayo in your egg salad stir in some add ins, such as green onion, radish, crumbled bacon, or celery pieces. If you don’t have any, hard boil another egg or two but be sure to wait until they are totally cooled before adding to the mix.
What can I substitute for mayo in egg salad?
Mayonnaise is the binder that holds the egg salad together and give it that creaminess that is the comfort of home. The secret to substituting mayo in egg salad is to use a binding agent that is also creamy. Keep in mind that they will change the texture and the flavor of the egg salad.
- Plain yogurt, especially Greek yogurt
- Ricotta cheese
- Cottage cheese
- Mashed avocado
- Cream cheese
Can you get sick from egg salad?
If your egg salad is stored properly and eaten within 3 days, you have no worries. You can usually tell by the smell when it’s gone bad!
The USDA rule of thumb is that any food left at room temperature for more than 2 hours will contain bacteria that will make you sick. All food, especially food made with eggs, must be kept colder than 40°F (in the fridge) or warmer than 140 °F. Temperatures between 40 – 140°F are considered the “Danger Zone” for bacteria growth.
How long will egg salad keep in refrigerator?
USDA recommends keeping egg salad in an air tight container in the fridge because it will still spoil quickly even in the refrigerator if left uncovered, within a day. Stored properly, egg salad will keep for 3 – 5 days. Do not store in the same container as other foods. Keep separate – this includes saving half of an uneaten sandwich – not a good idea.
How far in advance can I make egg salad sandwiches?
You can make the egg salad up to 5 days before your picnic or party, but it is best to make the sandwiches on the day you will eat them. Eggs, and mayonnaise made from eggs, are the foods that are the most concerning when it comes to bacteria. At most, make them the night before.
- Butter the bread to keep it from getting soggy.
- Put a slice of Bibb lettuce on both slices of bread to act as a barrier too.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and put in an air tight container – this is to protect the sandwich from absorbing smells from other foods in the fridge as well as keeping it fresh.
Can you put warm egg salad in the fridge?
The problem with putting warm egg salad in the fridge is that it causes condensation on the cover of the dish, such as the plastic wrap over the bowl. This in turn causes your egg salad to be watery. Give it a few minutes to come to room temperature first. But don’t forget it – after 2 hours it is in the “danger zone” for bacteria.
Can egg salad be frozen?
Mayonnaise separates when frozen so the texture will be completely different when thawed, more runny. The texture of the egg pieces change too, becoming a little rubbery. Egg salad is best when freshly made and chilled.
Classic egg salad sandwich recipe without relish.
The classic egg salad sandwich includes eggs, mayo and mustard with diced green onions & celery. The thing that makes it just like mom’s is how finely – or how chunky – you chop them. See our classic recipe & make it your own.
Best egg salad sandwich recipe with relish.
Here’s the best egg salad sandwich recipe with relish. Choose sweet relish for that down-home taste, or use dill pickle relish with a dash of dill weed if you’re cutting down on sugar or on the keto diet.
What can I add to egg salad sandwiches?
The add-ins are unlimited. What do you love with your eggs in the morning? What is your favorite food? It doesn;t have to be a chopped add-in. It can also be put on top, like lettuce. Here are a few ideas:
- bacon: maple, applewood smoked, black pepper, chipotle, pancetta
- shrimp, crab meat or lobster
- deli meat of your choosing
- sauces: Sriracha, Worchester, horseradish, tahini, salsa, pesto, BBQ, mayochup (mayo-ketchup)
- veggies: radish, bell peppers, celery, onions of all types, microsprouts, jalapeños
- herbs & spices: cayenne, paprika, basil, cilantro, parsley, dill
- sweet relish, dill pickle relish, chopped olives, capers
Unique egg salad sandwich recipes.
Here are some unique egg salad sandwich recipes where the add-ins take a simple sandwich to whole new level.
bobby flay shrimp and egg salad sandwich
See Bobby Flay’s Shrimp and Egg Salad Sandwich with Poppyseeds. (You can substitute lobster or crab meat if you wish.)
Farmer’s Egg Salad Sandwich
Wonderful farmer’s egg salad with fresh vegetables from the garden, including radishes.
Best Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich with Dijon Mustard
Love Avocado Toast? Try this Avocado Egg Salad with Dijon Mustard! Serve it on toast, an English muffin or a croissant for a sandwich, pile it on crackers for an appetizer, or serve it in a lettuce cup for the Keto diet.
Make the egg salad sandwich classy with upgrades to the Wonder white bread we ate as children.
Serve it on a flaky, buttery croissant for a memorable lunch.
Want to make your egg salad sandwich hearty? Serve it on a sesame seed bun. You can even add burger toppings like onion slice, tomato slice, relish & mustard.
Finger sandwiches at tea. Egg salad sandwiches and cucumber sandwiches on white bread. Simple yet elegant.
How about profiterole stuffed with egg salad? (Profiteroles are small, round French pastries made with a choux pastry dough like éclairs and cream puffs.)
Open faced egg salad on rye bread garnished with fresh dill.
Gluten-free bread with cream cheese, radish, avocado slices, egg salad and pea sprout microgreens.
How can I serve egg salad without bread?
Here a few different ideas for serving egg salad:
- stuff a tomato, bell pepper or avocado
- serve on crackers like an appetizer
- make a lettuce cup and serve it as a salad
- serve it as a dip with carrots, celery sticks and crackers
- line a pita with lettuce and stuff it
- spread cream cheese on a tortilla, add layer of lettuce and then some egg salad and roll
What goes with egg salad sandwiches?
The favored side seems to be potato chips, but there are other alternatives:
- small side salad or coleslaw
- soup to make it a hearty meal, such as chicken noodle or tomato
- celery & carrot sticks with grape tomatoes
- french fries or sweet potato fries
- pickle tray
- deep fried dill pickles
- deep fried mozzarella sticks