Looking for something special for Christmas morning? Everyone will love this Christmas banana bread. It’s better than fruitcake & more festive than everyday banana bread.
Our Christmas Banana Bread always has cherries & chocolate chips.
(My son loves the chocolate & cherries Black Forest cake and banana bread so he gets the best of both in this recipe.)
But, if you prefer, you can make it more like fruitcake and substitute walnut pieces for the chocolate chips.
Want more? See all of our banana bread recipes & baking tips.
- vegetable spray
- 1/3 c butter at room temperature
- 1 c packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 c mashed banana (2 large bananas)
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 c milk chocolate chips (1/2 pkg) or walnut pieces
- 1/4 c glace cherries, chopped (save a few cut in half for top of loaf
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan with vegetable spray - very important or banana bread will be very difficult to remove & probably break apart.
- Mash bananas by hand with a fork. (If mashed in a glass measuring cup, you'll know how much you have by volume.)
- Beat butter and brown sugar together until smooth.
- Stir in banana.
- Stir in egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture and stir until evenly combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips (or walnut pieces) and cherries. Scrape bottom of bowl to combine evenly.
- Put batter in prepared pan. Level top. Place cherries on top, but don't push in. Bread will rise. (Don't make a pattern. A random spattering looks more natural.)
- Bake for an hour or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. (If you use a knife or fork to test, the centre may deflate a little.)
- Cool in pan for 30 minutes, then invert to turn out & then place right side up to cool completely. (You MUST cool for at least 30 minutes or it will fall apart when you try to remove it from loaf pan.)
If your banana bread loaf deflates in the middle, don't despair. Spread Nutella or chocolate frosting on the top and everyone will love it even more.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 216mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 4g
We provide nutritional information but these figures should be considered estimates as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Like this? Sign up for our weekly Merrymaker Magazine so you don’t miss a thing!
Banana Bread Lover Gift Ideas
Just 5 minutes from yearning to indulging with banana bread mug cake.
(See our Banana Bread Mug Cake recipe that fits the regular-sized mugs you have at home.)
Want more? See all of our Banana Bread recipes.
Like this? See our new recipes in the weekly Merrymaker Magazine.
Sign up for our weekly magazine and never miss a recipe.
Prepare in advance for the week’s upcoming daily holidays with our tips & printables. Be inspired by ideas to celebrate upcoming seasonal holidays with printables, party plans, recipes and fun ideas.