Cheese and bacon stuffed mushrooms are an impressive appetizer for your party. They can be made ahead, refrigerated, and popped in the oven when you’re ready to serve them which makes them an easy choice.
Fontina Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Cremini Mushrooms
- 12 large cremini mushrooms
- 2 thick slices slices of bacon, coarsely chopped (about ½ cup)
- ½ c scallions, chopped
- 3 oz crumbled fontani, swiss or creamy havarti cheese (½ cup)
- ½ c Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ c pimento, chopped
- ¼ c walnuts, chopped optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Clean mushrooms with a moist paper towel. Remove stems and coarsely chop, set aside. Place mushroom caps, underside up in a medium baking dish.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook bacon about 3 minutes stirring occasionally, until slightly crisp and fat has rendered. Add onion and cook 2 minutes. Add chopped mushroom stems and cook an additional 1-2 minutes, until mushrooms are tender and onions are translucent. Remove from heat.
- Transfer onion mixture to a medium bowl and allow to cool 3-5 minutes. Add crumbled cheese, panko, pimento, and walnuts. Stir until mixture is well combined and holds together when gently squeezed. Fill mushroom caps with about 1 tbsp. of filling.
- At this point, mushrooms can be refrigerated until ready to bake. Bake mushrooms for 25-30 minutes until mushrooms are tender and filling is golden brown. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
Want more? See all of our mushroom recipes.
Love the umami flavor in mushrooms? You’ll love these mushroom recipes then! We even have blenditarian mushroom/ground meat recipes for you.
Want more? See all our appetizer recipes.
Appetizers should be served with every party! They keep the crowd happy if things are running a little late. They are perfect for nibbling while standing up during meet-and-greet. They allow a little taste of a lot of different foods.
See our appetizer recipes for a cocktail party, game day, or pre-dinner dining. Tips on how to create a cheese board.
Want more? Have an appetizer party!
An appetizer party is a great way to have a party on a smaller budget. It’s easier to visit with guests because the food can be prepared in advance. It is the perfect party when you don’t have enough space for all your guests – it can be a standing-room-only party rather than a sit-down party.
Want even more? See our new appetizer recipes.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.