Buttery, savory appetizers for holiday parties – or any day – these Cheese Buds with Pecans are sure to be a favorite.
There are so many sweet appetizers that you need a nice savory one to balance out your appetizer offerings. These cheese buds melt in your mouth with a buttery, savory flavor and nice crisp crunchiness from the pecans. A must-have!
Cheese Buds with Pecans
- food processor
- 1 c cake flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 c grated extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- ½ c unsalted butter, cold and cut into chunks
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- ⅛ cayenne pepper
- 40 pecan halves
- 1 egg white, whisked with 1 teaspoon cold water
- smoked paprika
Heat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Add flour, cheese, butter chunks, salt and cayenne pepper to food processor. Process until ingredients form into ball, about 1 minute.
Remove dough from food processor, wrap with plastic wrap and press into flat round. Place in refrigerator 1 hour.
Dust counter with flour and roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick. Using 1-inch round cookie cutter, cut out rounds and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
Place one pecan on top of each round. Using pastry brush, lightly paint each cracker with egg wash. Sprinkle with smoked paprika.
Bake 12-15 minutes, or until buds just start to brown around bottom edges.
Remove from oven to cooling rack. Store in airtight container up to 1 week or freeze 1 month.
Cheese buds can be made plain without pecans, or pecans can be chopped and sprinkled on after egg wash and smoked paprika.
Want more? See all of our appetizer recipes.
Want to see our new appetizer recipes – and more?
- Pinterest – hundreds of vision boards with party themes & recipes
- Facebook – hear about the bizarre holiday or “national day” today, our newest article, guides & party printables
- Twitter – get in on the conversation
Sign up for our weekly Merrymaker Magazine
- Know the upcoming week’s daily holidays with celebration ideas so you can prepare ahead of time
- Get party planning guides & see party printables for this month’s calendar holidays and new party themes
- Be first to try out our newest recipes
- See the list of last week’s articles so you won’t miss a thing