Add a little zing to your holiday cookie platter with these Lime Shortbread cookies by Bravo’s “Top Chef Just Desserts” Johnny Iuzzini.
Chef Johnny Iuzzini has teamed up with Glad to support Cookies for Kids’ Cancer this holiday season. Why not host a holiday bake sale with proceeds for this worthy cause? You can register your event at their website.
Looking for something a little different for the holiday bake sale or as holiday treats?
Lime shortbread is unique and makes a wonderful signature cookie for your Christmas gatherings.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 finely grated zest limes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Put butter into standing mixer with the paddle, and mix on medium-low until a thick paste forms with no visible butter lumps. Add lime zest, juice and salt, and mix until well combined.
- Meanwhile, sift flour and confectioner’s sugar together. With mixer on low, slowly add dry ingredients to butter mixture, stopping to scrape down bowl as necessary. Mix until just combined.
- Turn dough out onto large sheet of plastic wrap and press into a rectangle about 1/2-inch thick. Wrap dough tightly in plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Remove dough from refrigerator and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Lightly flour a sheet of parchment, unwrap dough, and set it on paper. Lightly flour top of dough and place another sheet of parchment over the top. Roll dough to an even 1/4-inch thickness. Use a 2-inch cutter to cut out cookies; transfer them to baking sheets, about 1 inch apart.
- Re-roll dough as necessary to cut out cookies until dough is used up. Freeze cookies on pan for 10 minutes.
- Bake cookies, rotating pans halfway through, until just starting to brown on the edges, about 15 minutes. Cool on pan for 10 minutes before transferring to rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
To freeze until baking, roll dough into 2 logs. Wrap in parchment and freeze in air tight container for up to 3 months. Thaw before slicing and bake as usual.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
We provide nutritional information but these figures should be considered estimates as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Want more? See all of our cookie recipes.
With tips from the pros who know, these are the best easy cookie recipes that turn out perfectly every time. Because you want to spend more time with those who are enjoying them than making them.
Like this? See our new recipes in the weekly Merrymaker Magazine.
Sign up for our weekly magazine and never miss a recipe.
Prepare in advance for the week’s upcoming daily holidays with our tips & printables. Be inspired by ideas to celebrate upcoming seasonal holidays with printables, party plans, recipes and fun ideas.