This Dulce de Leche Ice Cream Dessert is super easy to make. It is such an elegant dessert, they’ll think you slaved all day in the kitchen.
What is Dulce de Leche?
Dulce de Leche (sweet made of milk in Spanish) is a caramelized milk, and is considered a confection in Latin America. It is made by slowly heating sugar and milk over a period of several hours. This produces a spreadable sweet sauce.
We are not going to make our own. Today you can purchase Dulce de Leche in the can with the sweetened condensed milk. Or, you can substitute caramel sauce which you may already have at home.
The graham cracker crust.
This Dulce de Leche ice cream dessert recipe calls for a prepared graham cracker crust. You can keep it super simple by buying a graham cracker pie crust. (Then you can call it Dulce de Leche ice cream pie. 😉)
To make your own graham cracker crust on the bottom of a rectangular pan, or in a pie plate:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine 2 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup of melted butter and 1/4 cup of sugar
- Press mixture onto bottom of ungreased rectangular pan (and up the sides of a 9″ pie plate).
- Bake until crust is lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Completely cool on a wire rack before using.
Dulce de Leche Ice Cream Dessert Recipe
- 4 c Blue Bunny salted caramel craze ice cream (softened)
- 1 prepared graham cracker crust
- 3 red apples
- 8 Tbsp Dulce de Leche sweetened condensed milk (or caramel sauce)
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- ¼ c roasted salted pecan halves
- Spread softened ice cream evenly in crust; cover and freeze at least 4 hours or until solid.
- Ten minutes before serving, remove from freezer; uncover and set aside.
- For glazed apples: thinly slice apples, leaving peel on. In large nonstick skillet over medium heat toss apples with lemon juice and 2 tablespoons caramel syrup. Cook just until apples soften but still maintain their shape, about 10 minutes, turning often. Put apple slices in a bowl to prevent overcooking while you prepare desserts.
- Cut into 8 slices; top each with about 1/3 cup glazed apples. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp Dulce de Leche syrup and sprinkle with pecans. Serve immediately.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Blue Bunny Ice Cream
Want more? See all of our ice cream dessert ideas.
Want to see our new ice cream dessert recipes?
- Are you the one with the big ideas? “Let’s do this” or “Let’s go there”.
- Are you the instigator that everyone follows to the next fun thing?
- Are you the creative type who adds flair to everything you do?
- Do you believe in celebrating life?
You sound like a Merrymaker!
Sign up for our weekly Merrymaker Magazine
- Know the upcoming week’s daily holidays with celebration ideas so you can prepare ahead of time
- Get party planning guides & see party printables for this month’s calendar holidays and new party themes
- Be first to try out our newest recipes
- See the list of last week’s articles so you won’t miss a thing