This Skillet Chicken and Dumplings recipe takes less than an hour to create, but your family will be grateful & satisfied much longer.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links (marked with an *). This means that, at no extra cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
This fast and easy chicken and dumplings recipe is the ultimate comfort food for an autumn day. It’s quick and easy to make, but satisfying so the whole family is happy – especially the cook. 😉
Fast and Easy Chicken and Dumplings
- 96 oz chicken stock
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1-inch rounds
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 c chopped chicken
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp powdered garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ c half-and-half
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1½ c flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 c half-and-half
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh black pepper
In a 3.5-quart saucepan, bring chicken stock to boil.
In a skillet, pan, saute onions, carrots and broccoli with butter. Add olive oil as needed if pan looks dry. Cook until onions are translucent and carrots are beginning to soften.
Add chopped chicken, bay leaves, oregano, basil, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper and hot chicken stock to skillet. Simmer 20-30 minutes until vegetables are softened. Adjust seasoning, as necessary.
Whisk cornstarch into half-and-half until smooth. Whisk into soup and simmer 5 minutes, until slightly thickened.
In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and half-and-half. Swirl soup with wooden spoon and add heaping tablespoons into center of soup at strong simmer. Continue adding until all dumpling batter is used. Cover with lid and cook on high 2-3 minutes.
Serve topped with grated Parmesan and fresh cracked pepper.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Circulon
This Chicken and Dumplings recipe was made in an 11″ Circulon Symmetry Frying Pan.
- dishwasher safe
- oven safe to 400°F
- suitable for all stove tops including induction
- nonstick frying pan
- metal utensil safe
Want more? See all of our stew recipes.
Want to see our new recipes – and more?
- Pinterest – hundreds of vision boards with party themes & recipes
- Facebook – hear about the bizarre holiday or “national day” today, our newest article, guides & party printables
- Twitter – get in on the conversation
Sign up for our weekly Merrymaker Magazine
- Know the upcoming week’s daily holidays with celebration ideas so you can prepare ahead of time
- Get party planning guides & see party printables for this month’s calendar holidays and new party themes
- Be first to try out our newest recipes
- See the list of last week’s articles so you won’t miss a thing