Delightfully different tacos! Pickled vegetables with hot & spicy walnut crumble make these Fiery Walnut Tacos a new favorite.
California Walnuts tell us “Walnuts are one of the original plant-based superfoods that can carry sweet or savory flavors. They add a satisfying crunch and serve as a simple, whole-food meat alternative. In addition to being a delicious plant-based staple, 1 ounce of walnuts contains important nutrients including 4 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber and good fats with 2.5 grams of monounsaturated fat and 13 grams of polyunsaturated fat, including 2.5 grams of omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).”
Try walnuts as an alternative to meat in a fiery walnut taco.
Fiery Walnut TacosCourse: Taco Recipes, WalnutsCuisine: Mexican
- Pickled Vegetables:
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
8 radishes, thinly sliced
2 medium jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
- Walnut Crumble:
1 1/2 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups California walnuts
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 teaspoon ground chipotle
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
16 whole wheat tortillas
thinly sliced romaine lettuce
fresh cilantro leaves
- To make pickled vegetables:**
- In small bowl, stir lime juice, sugar and sea salt. Stir in radishes, jalapenos and garlic slices; let stand 30 minutes to pickle.
- To make walnut crumble:**
- In food processor, pulse beans and walnuts until coarsely chopped. Add 2 tablespoons oil, white vinegar, paprika, chili powder, oregano, salt, chipotle, cumin and coriander; pulse until mixture is finely chopped and resembles ground meat, stirring several times and moving mixture from bottom of food processor bowl to top to evenly mix.
- In large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat remaining oil. Add “chorizo” mixture and cook 10 minutes, or until mixture is browned and resembles ground meat, stirring frequently.
- To prepare tacos:**
- Brush each tortilla lightly with oil. On skillet over medium-high heat, cook briefly to brown on both sides, keeping warm in foil until all tortillas are cooked.
- Remove pickled vegetables from liquid and discard garlic slices. Fill each tortilla with equal amounts walnut crumble and pickled vegetables. Garnish with lettuce and cilantro; serve with lime wedges.
- We provide nutritional information but these figures should be considered estimates as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Want more? See our other taco recipes.
Keep in touch! See our new recipes, party ideas & daily holiday celebrations.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter magazine.