Luscious fruit tarts recipe by sports nutritionist Joel Marion. Enjoy without the guilt!
Joel Marion’s simple, highly effective weight loss program allows readers to enjoy social dinners without restriction, satisfy nighttime hunger with fat-burning sweet and salty pre-bedtime snacks and indulge cravings with strategically timed cheat meals.
This fruit tarts recipe is a part of his diet program.
Conventional wisdom dictates that it’s best to avoid carbs, eat an early dinner and never eat immediately before bed.
Joel Marion, Sports Nutritionist, five-time best-selling e-book author and co-founder of the e-commerce supplement company BioTrust Nutrition debunks the myths underlying traditional dieting.
Marion believes strategically eating during the evening hours can actually be an effective weight loss strategy.
His book, Always Eat After 7 PM, outlines an easy-to-follow diet that accelerates fat-burning and allows you to indulge your most intense cravings by eating the majority of your calories at night.
Learn more about the diet and book at JoelMarion.com.
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 c raw honey
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- 3 cans full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
Sugar Cookie Crust:
- ½ c coconut oil, plus additional for greasing
- ½ c palm shortening
- 1 c coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c blanched almond flour
- ¼ c coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 kiwis, peeled and sliced
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- ½ c raspberries
- ½ c blackberries
- ½ c blueberries
- ½ c red grapes
- 1 c strawberries, thinly sliced
- fresh mint leaves, for garnish
To make custard:
- In saucepan, whisk egg yolks and honey until smooth. Mix in coconut flour.
- In another medium saucepan over medium heat, combine coconut milk, vanilla extract and lemon zest; bring to boil then remove from heat.
- Pour hot milk mixture into egg yolk mixture, stirring while pouring. Over low heat, simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and let cool, continuing to stir occasionally. Once cooled to room temperature, pour into individual custard cups. Chill in refrigerator 30 minutes, or until serving.
To make crust:
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line bottom of pie pan with parchment paper and grease with coconut oil.
- In large mixing bowl using electric mixer on high, beat coconut oil and palm shortening 30 seconds. Add coconut palm sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla until combined. Beat in almond flour, coconut flour and starch. Chill dough in refrigerator 15 minutes.
- Press chilled cookie dough into bottom of pie pan and 2 inches up sides. Bake 12 minutes, or until crust is golden and browned on top and edges. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes. Place cooled crust in refrigerator 30 minutes or overnight before assembling.
To assemble fruit tarts:
- Spread custard over chilled crust. Decorate top in circular pattern with kiwis, mango strips, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, grapes and strawberries.
- Before serving, chill at least 30 minutes or freeze 1 hour to help keep toppings in place.
- Remove from freezer and set out at room temperature 20 minutes before slicing. Garnish with mint leaves.
Recipe courtesy of “Always Eat After 7 PM” via Family Features
Want more? See all of Joel Marion’s recipes.
We have more recipes from his book, Always Eat After 7 PM for you to try.
Want more? See all of our recipes.
Want even more? See our new recipes.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.