Based on the Smashburger fast food restaurant, Smash Burgers are made by “smashing” a ball of ground meat in a cast iron pan with a spatula, producing a thin juicy beef patty with a crispy seared outer layer and a fantastic meat to cheese ratio.
This recipe is made with ground pork, but you could substitute 100% Black Angus Beef just like the original Smashburger restaurant burger. Because it is so thin and cooked fast – within 2 minutes – the leaner meat will stay juicy.
Green Chili Smash Burger RecipeCourse: Burgers
- Burger Patties:
1 lb ground pork
4 Tbsp red onion, finely minced
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp chipotle chili powder
2 tsp ancho chili powder
1 c cooked black-eyed peas, drained
1 tsp salt, plus additional, to taste
4 slices Jack cheese
- Caramelized Onions:
2 Tbsp butter
1 lg large onion, sliced thin
½ c water
½ tsp salt
- Charred Green Chili Mayo:
3 oz diced green chilies
⅔ c mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 green onions, finely sliced
¼ c cilantro, chopped
4 hamburger buns
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
½ head lettuce
- To make patties: In large bowl, mix ground pork, onion, garlic and chili powders. Add black-eyed peas and salt; mix well. Form into four loosely packed balls and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- To make Caramelized Onions: In large skillet over medium-high heat, warm butter. Add onions, water and salt; cook, stirring, until onions soften and turn golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make Charred Green Chili Mayo: Place green chilies in hot cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, turning, until chilies begin to soften and turn black. Remove from heat and place in small bowl. Add mayonnaise, garlic and lime juice; whisk to blend. Add green onions and cilantro; stir well and refrigerate.
- To make burgers: Warm cast iron or nonstick griddle pan over medium-high heat. Place pork balls on hot skillet; flatten with heavy metal spatula. Season with salt, to taste. Cook approximately 3 minutes; flip and cook 2-3 minutes until internal temperature reaches 145 F.
- Lightly toast buns. Place each burger on toasted bun with slice of cheese, Caramelized Onions, Charred Green Chili Mayo, avocado and lettuce.
Recipe courtesy National Family Meals Month
Like this? See all of our burger recipes.
Want more? See our new burger recipes, party ideas & daily holiday celebrations.
- Pinterest – hundreds of vision boards with party themes & recipes
- Facebook – hear about the bizarre holiday or “national day” today, our newest article, guides & party printables
- Twitter – get in on the conversation
Sign up for our weekly Merrymaker Magazine
- Know the upcoming week’s daily holidays with celebration ideas so you can prepare ahead of time
- Get party planning guides & see party printables for this month’s calendar holidays and new party themes
- Be first to try out our newest recipes
- See the list of last week’s articles so you won’t miss a thing