It’s the perfect occasion to have fun in the kitchen with color & flavor. Try these easy green velvet cupcakes for St Patrick’s Day (or any day really).
What are green cupcakes made of?
No worries. It’s not kale or broccoli that makes them green! It’s a twist on the classic red velvet cupcakes using green food color instead. This is an oh so easy green velvet cupcake recipe, using a cake mix as a base because there’s a science behind the ingredients. They will turn out every time. Add in our “secret” ingredients to make them moist & thick enough to keep your mix-ins such as chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom and you have a cupcake that will impress your guests.
What kind of frosting do you put on green velvet cupcakes?
Traditionally, red velvet cupcakes have cream cheese frosting. So of course our green velvet cupcakes do too. But there’s a twist. The frosting has a minty flavor (which is optional) because we think green cupcakes should be minty. Right? Feel free to use any kind of frosting your wish for your St Patrick’s Day party.
Green Velvet Cupcakes
- 1 pkg chocolate cake mix
- 1 chocolate pudding mix
- 1 c sour cream
- ½ c water
- ¼ c cocoa
- ¼ c vegetable oil
- 1 bottle McCormick Green Food Color ((1 oz))
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp McCormick Pure Vanilla or Mint Extract
- 1 pkg cream cheese, softened
- ¼ c butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- ½ tsp McCormick Pure Peppermint Extract
- 2 c icing sugar
- ½ tsp McCormick Green Food Color (optional)
- green or St Patrick’s Day sprinkles
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Beat cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream (save 2 Tbsp for frosting), water, cocoa powder, oil, food color, eggs and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed just until moistened, scraping sides of bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
Pour batter into 24 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire rack.
While cooling, make minty green frosting. Beat cream cheese, butter, sour cream, and mint extract in a bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in icing sugar until smooth. Add green food coloring and stir until well combined and uniform color. Makes 2½ cups.
Frost with cream cheese frosting. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired.
Feel free to add your favorite mix-ins for a signature cupcake:
- 1 pkg chocolate chips
- 1 cup of any other mix-in
These easy green velvet cupcakes will wow the crowd & they’ll never know it started with a cake mix. Accept all the kudos. You can claim it as yours!
Recipe and photo courtesy of McCormick via Family Features
Want more St Patrick’s Day goodies recipes?
What now? More St Patrick’s Day ideas!
- Put more play in your St Patrick’s Day with these fun ideas.
- It’s not a celebration until there’s food! See our St Patrick’s day recipes.
- Do you know someone who would love these cupcakes? Send them the recipe.
Want to see our new St Patrick’s Day goodies recipes?
- Pinterest – hundreds of vision boards with party themes & recipes
- Facebook – hear about the bizarre holiday or “national day” today, our newest article, guides & party printables
- Twitter – get in on the conversation
Sign up for our weekly Merrymaker Magazine
- Know the upcoming week’s daily holidays with celebration ideas so you can prepare ahead of time
- Get party planning guides & see party printables for this month’s calendar holidays and new party themes
- Be first to try out our newest recipes
- See the list of last week’s articles so you won’t miss a thing