Is it a confection or a dessert? These holiday peppermint bars will disappear before you have time to decide.
Chocolate brownies with a peppermint filling, topped with a chocolate glaze and crushed candy cane. A holiday favorite for all age groups.
Holiday Peppermint Bars
- family-size package fudge brownie mix
- 5 c confectioners’ sugar
- 1 c butter
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp McCormick Pure Peppermint Extract
- ⅛ tsp McCormick Food Color & Egg Dye, Red
- 12 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ½ c butter
- crushed peppermint candies (optional)
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Prepare brownie mix according to package instructions. Spread on greased, foil-lined, 15-by-10-by-1-inch baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- In large bowl, using electric mixer on medium speed, beat confectioners’ sugar, melted butter, cream, peppermint extract and food coloring until well blended and smooth. Spread evenly over cooled brownies. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- In large, microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate and butter on high 2 minutes, until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Spread over top of chilled brownies.
- Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies, if desired. Cut into bars.
Recipe and photo courtesy of McCormick
Want more? See all of our Christmas goodies recipes.
‘Tis the season for baking wonderful, scrumptious goodies! See our Christmas goodies recipe collection for Christmas cakes, cupcakes, cookies and other wonderful treats. Step by step instructions make it easy to create your favorites or try something new.
Put the magic in Christmas with our new holiday ideas & Christmas recipes.
Signup for our weekly Merrymaker Magazine and be inspired.
- Prepare in advance for the week’s upcoming daily holidays with our tips & printables.
- Be inspired by ideas to celebrate Christmas (and other upcoming seasonal holidays) with printables, party plans, recipes and fun ideas for your family or crew of friends.