What’s not to love about crunchy, nutty toffee with white chocolate? Here is step-by-step instructions to make pistachio toffee bark.
Tips for toffee success
- Have all the ingredients ready first — measure all ingredients before beginning the recipe. Cooking toffee happens fast.
- No substitutions — use real butter and 36% heavy cream or whipping cream because it gives toffee the best flavor and texture.
- Don’t double the batch — extra ingredients may prevent the mixture from cooking properly.
- Get correct temperature — the bulb of the candy thermometer should be completely covered by liquid, but don’t rest the thermometer on the bottom of the pan. Use the little hook on the thermometer on the edge of the pan.
- Be patient — candy takes a long time to cook — don’t rush it by turning up the heat.
- Keep it fresh — store finished confections in an airtight container in a dry location. Use wax paper to separate layers of candy.
A candy thermometer is an important tool.
- insulated handle
- adjustable pan grip for any size pan
- easy to read & candy temperatures printed as convenient reference
- measures in both °F and °C from 100 to 400°F
Highly rated on Amazon.
Pistachio Toffee Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups shelled pistachios, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place pistachios in single layer in pan; toast 3 minutes. Remove from oven, cool and coarsely chop; set aside.
- In heavy saucepan, combine butter, sugars, water and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon. Reduce heat to medium, and continue to boil until mixture reaches 300°F (hard crack stage), stirring frequently.
- Stir in 3/4 cup pistachios; mix well and pour into jellyroll pan lined with buttered foil. Spread mixture into large rectangle. Cool completely.
- In microwave-safe container, microwave chocolate 30 seconds; stir. Continue microwaving in 10-second intervals, stirring after each, until chocolate is melted and smooth, but not hot. Using spatula, spread over toffee, covering it completely. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup pistachios and gently pat into chocolate.
- Place pan in refrigerator for 5 minutes, or until chocolate has set. Break into pieces and store in airtight container.