Today’s the day you use a drinking straw for all your beverages, so please make sure it’s one that’s sustainable. No plastic straws allowed!
Better yet, #StopSucking.
It is estimated that 500 million straws are used every day in the US.
Most of them end up in the ocean because all gutters and storm drains go into our water system and meet with other litter from beaches, seaside resorts, boats or blown garbage.
It is estimated that by 2050:
- there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish
- 99% of seabirds will have ingested plastic
- 94% of US tap water will contain plastic
Most of us don’t need to use a straw. When you’re at a restaurant, tell them to #HoldTheStraw.
- paper straws are so pretty
- glass straws
- silicone reusable straws
- bamboo degradable straws
- metal reusable straws
Buy any of these at StrawlessOcean.org or your local department store.
So today, on National Drinking Straw Day, we ask you to take the pledge.
Will you #StopSucking?
We ask you to pledge today that you will stop using straws with your beverages. Ask everyone to #HoldTheStraw when serving your drinks.
If you can’t go without a straw, or enjoying using them for certain beverages, will you pledge to use a sustainable or reusable straw?
You don’t need to use a straw that requires washing if that’s a problem. Use a biodegradable bamboo straw or a disposable paper straw that can be recycled.
Like this? See all of our January daily holiday ideas.
Put more play in your day – and Good Times Glue in your relationships – with our daily holiday celebrations in January. Don’t wait for the big days to celebrate! Create happy memories every day. We help with easy suggestions, quizzes to challenge your crew, movie list, themed food – pick and choose what fits your day.
Want more? See daily holiday ideas in advance and be a Merrymaker.
Sign up for our weekly Merrymaker Magazine and
- prepare in advance for the week’s upcoming daily holidays with our tips & printables
- be inspired by ideas to celebrate upcoming seasonal holidays with printables, party plans, recipes and fun ideas
- get all the freebies, hear about contests and see last week’s articles so you don’t miss a thing.