Here’s how to make breakfast burritos for the freezer and reheat them for mornings when you’re in a hurry – without them getting soggy. Breakfast burritos are a great to-go meal!
It takes only 30 minutes to prepare a dozen burritos for your freezer, but it saves almost the same amount of time every day in the morning rush.
One of the issues with freezer breakfast burritos is that they can be soggy if you make them the same way you do fresh burritos.
Here are our best tips to make-ahead breakfast burritos that are never soggy:
- Use large tortillas, at least 10″ – bigger is better.
- Flour tortillas freeze better than corn tortillas.
- Don’t use wet ingredients like sour cream. Cook a touch of sauce with meat filling for flavor. Use diced tomatoes instead of salsa. (Use salsa, sour cream or yogurt on the side for dipping.)
- Don’t use lettuce, spinach or cilantro – it doesn’t freeze well and makes the burrito soggy.
- All ingredients should be room temperature before placed in the burrito so the tortilla won’t be soggy and you can make a tighter roll. Cool for at least 10 minutes.
- When assembling the breakfast burrito, don’t put the egg next to the tortilla – assemble in layers. (Cheese or rice first, then egg, then other fillings.)
- Roll tightly, wrap in foil and line up on a cookie sheet. They freeze faster unstacked which keeps them from getting soggy. Once they’re frozen, stack burritos in a large freezer bag and return to freezer. (If you make different kinds of breakfast burritos, don’t forget to label the bag.)
- Frozen burritos can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Reheat in microwave: remove foil and microwave on defrost for 1 minute, flip and defrost another minute. Then on high for one minute,
- Or – reheat in 350°F oven for 12 – 15 minutes.
Make Ahead Breakfast Burrito Recipe
Here’s our freezer breakfast burrito recipe using all the tips so it won’t go soggy.
(Need to know how to roll a burrito so it won’t fall apart in your lap when you’re eating it in the car? We show you how in our Breakfast Burrito Ideas article.)
Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos for the Freezer
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 16 oz turkey sausage
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 12 eggs
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 c cheddar cheese shredded
- 14 10" whole wheat tortillas
- In nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon oil. Add sausage and cook 5-8 minutes, or until cooked through. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- In same skillet, add remaining oil, bell peppers, onions and tomatoes, and cook 3-5 minutes, or until softened. Add tomatoes and cook 2 minutes.
- In large bowl, scramble eggs and pepper. Add to pan and cook, stirring regularly, 3-4 minutes, or until eggs are set. Remove from heat and mix in sausage and cheese.
- Let cool completely, at least 10 minutes.
- Fill tortillas with 1/2 cup egg mixture, roll into burrito and lay seam-side down on parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze 1 hour. Transfer to freezer-safe resealable bag and return to freezer.
Recipe courtesy Produce for Kids via Family Features. (We were not compensated.)
Want more? See all our breakfast burrito recipes & tips.
- How to roll a burrito so it won’t fall apart
- Make ahead breakfast burritos for the freezer
- What to serve with breakfast burritos: fillings, toppings & sauces
- Lots of breakfast burrito recipes for adults and kids
Want more? See our exciting breakfast recipes for kids & adults.
Exciting breakfast recipe ideas for days when you want to have a leisurely brunch and reconnect with family and friends, for a traditional “start the weekend” extravaganza, for a quick-out-the-door morning and recipes especially for adults or kids.
Want more? See all of our recipes.
Want more, more often? See our new breakfast recipes.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.