If you want to host an unforgettable party, make punch the centerpiece. It can make a memorable impression on your guests, especially with a signature punch that matches the theme of your party.
Punch was created in the Victorian Age. It was originally made with alcohol, but Queen Victoria put an end to that. It faded in popularity until the 1920s when champagne punch was a hallmark of parties and celebrations.
Now with everyone interested in the art of mixology, punch is trending again.
Draw attention to your punch by how you display it.
Start by making punch the visual centerpiece at your party.
Consider a charming drink dispenser, an unusual punch bowl or an elegant glass pitcher.
Or display the punch bowl in a dramatic way.
Make the punch a focal point with decorations.
Place decorations that match the theme of your party around the punch bowl or dispenser to make it a focal point.
Let your personal and unique style shine through with your choice of glassware and table decorations.
Offer fresh garnishes so guests can create a unique flavor all their own.
Offer a variety of garnish selections for your guests to further personalize their glasses.
Think like a mixologist and create a sweet & tangy combination.
Typically, punches feature a blend of sweet and tangy. For inspiration, take a mixologist’s approach to creating a memorable punch. Begin with a sweet foundation like apple cider, sangria or Sprite.
Garnishes are for decoration as well as flavor.
Add citrus slices, berries, cinnamon or cloves to spice up the flavor and double as decorations.
Add oomph with alcohol or soda.
Try ginger beer for a nice fizzle, and for an adult-only punch, consider adding vodka or rum. The rule of thumb is 10% alcohol by volume (ABV) or less. (There should be more nonalcoholic ingredients than alcohol in punch.)
More punch tips.
- Your punch table will be the place loved ones gather to talk and reconnect, so leave lots of room around it for conversation.
- Make enough punch for the whole event and refrigerate it in pitchers to make it easy to fill your punch bowl when necessary.
- Add carbonated ingredients at the last minute so guests can enjoy the fizz.
- Remember that melting ice will dilute your punch so feel confident that you can make it flavorful.
Want more? See our new punch recipes.
Sign up for our weekly Merrymaker Magazine and
- get new punch recipes & cocktail party ideas
- prepare in advance for the week’s upcoming daily holidays with our tips & printables
- be inspired by ideas to celebrate upcoming seasonal holidays with printables, party plans, recipes and fun ideas
- get all the freebies, hear about contests and see last week’s articles so you don’t miss a thing.