Meatloaf is a fast & easy meal for mom to make, and a comfort food that the whole family loves. Here’s the meatloaf recipe I use for my crew.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 envelope (about 1 ounce) dry onion soup and recipe mix
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- Mix the beef, pork, onion soup mix, bread crumbs and egg in a large bowl. (I use my hands to really squish it all together – gets rid of the day’s stress!)
- Place the mixture into 2 loaf pans or into cupcake pan.
- If you’d like, you can put a layer of catsup or BBQ sauce on top. Or not.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour for loaves or 20 minutes for cupcakes – or until the meatloaf is cooked through.
- Remove from pans immediately so they don’t soak up the grease. Let the loaves stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Want to add a little pizzaz? Try these:
It’s Meatloaf that looks like a cupcake! Just cook your usual meatloaf mixture in a muffin pan for 20 minutes.
When it’s cooled, top with Mashed Potatoes (we used real potatoes, but ready-to-use mashed potatoes in a box is fast & easy and a nice consistency) to look like icing.
Add a dab of catsup or cherry tomato for a cherry on top, gravy to look like butterscotch topping and “sprinkles” of peas, carrot cubes or corn niblets.
Don’t say a word – just wait for their reaction when the figure it out for themselves!
Have kids with a picky palate? Want to introduce a little fun at the dinner table? Having a winter or snowman party? We show you how to make Snowman Meatloaf.
Plate photo courtesy Family Features