Special hot chocolate recipe for special nights. Mulled Hot Chocolate recipe with allspice, cinnamon, orange zest and bittersweet chocolate.
A mulled drink is a hot beverage with mulling spices: cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg and sometimes anise or cardamom. It also usually includes dried fruit such as raisins, apples, cranberries or citrus rind.
Beverages usually mulled are apple cider, wine, wassail and hot chocolate. (Beer can also have mulling spices yet served cold.)
Mulled Hot Chocolate
- 1 quart chocolate milk
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- ⅛ tsp ground allspice
- ½ rind from a whole orange
- ¼ c sugar
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate chunks
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Cut the skin off an orange, removing the pith. Next, julienne the orange peel and set aside.
- Pour chocolate milk into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Add sugar, cinnamon sticks, allspice and orange rind. Then remove from heat for 10-15 minutes.
- After the spices have steeped in the milk, reheat the mixture to a very low heat and add chocolate chunks, stirring occasionally until melted (takes about 3-5 minutes).
- Carefully pour hot chocolate mixture through a metal strainer to remove spices and finish by adding vanilla extract.
- Pour into individual mugs and top off hot chocolate with whipped cream and julienned orange peel, if desired.
Mulled Hot Chocolate recipe courtesy of National Dairy Council
Want more? See all of our hot chocolate recipes & ideas.
Want even more? See our new hot chocolate recipes & ideas.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.