If you’re craving cheesy scalloped potatoes, spruce up your recipe with the mild and unique taste of potatoes au gratin with fennel and olives.
The combination of Gruyere and Jarlsberg cheeses are perfect in a side dish with your holiday dinner. They pair well with turkey and ham because they have a light taste that’s not too cheesy.
Potatoes Au Gratin with Fennel and Olives
- 1 bulb fennel, washed, stalks removed and cored
- ½ yellow onion
- 2 large russet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp salted butter
- 1 c plus 2 tablespoons, 36% heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ c California Ripe Black Ripe Olives, sliced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ¾ c Gruyere cheese, grated, divided
- ¾ c Jarlsberg cheese, grated, divided
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Using mandoline or handheld slicer, thinly slice fennel, onion and potatoes.
- In medium pan, heat olive oil and butter then saute onion and fennel over medium-low heat 15 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat.
- In large bowl, combine sliced potatoes with 1 cup cream, olives, salt, pepper and all but 2 tablespoons of each cheese.
- Add cooked fennel and onion to bowl and stir to combine.
- Transfer potato mixture to 8-by-8-inch baking dish or deep pie plate and flatten surface so potatoes are mostly submerged in cream.
- In small bowl, combine remaining cheese with remaining cream. Sprinkle cheese over top of potatoes evenly.
- Bake 45-60 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown and bubbly. It is done when a fork glides smoothly through the potatoes in the center. If there is any resistance, continue cooking. If it is browned to perfection, tent with foil to prevent top from becoming too dark. ("Tent" means fold it up in the center so it doesn't touch surface or the browned part will stick to it.)
- Cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
Want more? See all of our side dish recipes.
Want some ideas to serve as side dishes to your roast, steak, pork chops or turkey? See our side dish recipes! Easy step by step instructions.
Want even more? See our new side dish recipes.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.