Savory breakfast casserole with eggs, potatoes, ham and Swiss cheese is fast & easy to make for a great start to your family’s weekend.
This breakfast casserole is perfect when you have visitors. Quick to prepare and pop in the oven so you’re back to spending time with people instead of your stove.
It’s also great as a dish at your brunch buffet. Everyone wants eggs, and this is the easy way to serve them.
Savory Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb red or white potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- ½ onion, coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- ½ tsp salt divided in half
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 c chopped cooked ham (about 4 oz)
- 1 c shredded Swiss cheese (or cheddar) (4 oz)
- 4 eggs
- 1½ c milk
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- In large saucepan place potato pieces. Add enough water to just cover. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add onion. Return to simmer. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes more or until potatoes are just tender. Drain well. Cool slightly.
- Coat 8- x 8- x 2-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place potato-onion mixture in baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and pepper. Gently stir to combine. Sprinkle ham and Swiss cheese on top.
- In medium bowl lightly beat eggs. Whisk in milk, mustard and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour over layers in baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Need an 8 x 8 Casserole Dish?
Pyrex Deep Baking Dish Set includes: one 13×9 inch glass baking dish, one 8×8 inch glass baking dish and one 7×11 inch glass baking dish, all with plastic lids.
Now they are 50% deeper!