Here’s everything you need to know to enjoy a breakfast burrito. How to roll it so it won’t fall apart – especially if you’re eating it on the go in the car. What fillings to use. How to freeze them ahead for a quick breakfast choice. And of course, the breakfast burrito recipes.
Before we get to Breakfast Burrito recipes, there’s a few basics we should cover.
How to roll a burrito so it doesn’t fall apart in your lap in the car.
Sometimes we’re so rushed we want to take our breakfast with us and go. We can do that with a breakfast burrito when we know how to fold it properly.
- If you store your burritos in the fridge, bring them to room temperature. Cold tortillas crack when rolled. Or, heat them in a pan, microwave or oven for 15 seconds. They fold better warm.
- Have all of your fillings prepared and ready to go. Putting a filling on while preparing the next makes the tortilla soggy.
- Put tortilla on square of foil larger than your tortilla.
- Put the filling on the tortilla off-center, closer to you. Only fill 1/4 of the tortilla space.
- Add layer of toppings and sauce. Don’t over-fill. Less is more.
- Fold opposite sides in until they almost touch.
- Hold the sides in with your fingers. Fold the bottom of the tortilla up with your thumbs, tucking in the flap like wrapping a present.
- Use the flap to pull ingredients tight by sliding it down (towards you), and then begin to roll as tightly as you can, keeping sides folded in.
- As you get to the end, press down on roll to flatten and crease side folds, then wrap end around tortilla roll to keep it in place.
Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos for the Freezer
It takes only 30 minutes to prepare a dozen burritos for your freezer, but it saves you that much time in the morning rush. Huzzah!
See our article with the best freezer tips to keep your breakfast burritos from getting soggy, and a make ahead breakfast burrito recipe.
What to Serve with Breakfast Burritos
Create a signature breakfast burrito by making your own combination of fillings, toppings and sauces or make a series of different combinations to change it up.
- scrambled eggs
- shredded hash browns
- diced potatoes or sweet potatoes
- shredded cheese
- enchilada sauce, pico de gallo, salsa verde, ranchera sauce, tomato salsa or diced tomatoes
- chopped green, red or yellow peppers
- corn niblets or salsa
- avocado slices
- shredded or chopped lettuce, kale or spinach
- refried beans
- cooked ground or diced beef, carne asada, pork, ham, chorizo, sausage, chicken or turkey
- cooked bacon slice or crumbled
- cooked rice
- roasted chiles
- black beans
- black olives
- sour cream
- cayenne pepper
- tabasco sauce
- picante sauce
Want more? See our exciting breakfast recipes for kids & adults.
Exciting breakfast recipe ideas for days when you want to have a leisurely brunch and reconnect with family and friends, for a traditional “start the weekend” extravaganza, for a quick-out-the-door morning and recipes especially for adults or kids.
Want more? See all of our recipes.
Want more, more often? See our new breakfast recipes.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.