This unique entree salad is easy to prepare and adds a festive flair to your picnic plate with Ruby Beet Chicken Salad Skewers.
Ruby Beet Chicken Salad Skewers
- 1 jar Aunt Nellie’s Baby Whole Pickled Beets
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4½ Tbsp stone ground mustard, divided
- 1½ Tbsp plus 1/3 cup, orange marmalade, divided
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh chives
- 1 large lemon, zest and juice (1/3 cup juice)
- ¼ c olive oil
- 9 oz leafy romaine lettuce pieces
- ⅓ c chopped almonds, toasted
- ⅓ c crumbled blue, feta or goat cheese
- Heat oven to 375° F. Drain beets; set aside.
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. In small bowl, combine 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard and 1 1/2 tablespoons marmalade. Brush mixture over chicken until completely coated. Bake chicken on rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil about 20-25 minutes, or until juices run clear; set aside.
- To make vinaigrette: In medium bowl, combine remaining mustard, remaining marmalade, chives, lemon zest and juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Slowly pour in oil while whisking vigorously until completely combined.
- Slice cooled chicken into 1-inch pieces. Onto each skewer, thread one beet, one piece of chicken and 4-5 pieces of lettuce; repeat two times for each skewer, adding one beet at ends. Repeat to make eight skewers. Place skewers on large serving platter.
- Stir vinaigrette; drizzle lightly over skewers. Sprinkle with almonds and cheese. Serve with remaining vinaigrette.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Seneca Foods
Want more? See all of our beet recipes.
Beets are healthy and add a wonderful flavor, texture and color to appetizer and side dish recipes.
Want more? See all of our side dish recipes.
Want some ideas to serve as side dishes to your roast, steak, pork chops or turkey? See our side dish recipes! Easy step by step instructions.
Want even more? See our new beet recipes.
Sign up for our weekly magazine with all our new recipes, party ideas and ways to put more play in every day.