Individual-sized puff pastry tart with sausage, egg, asparagus and tomato is a meal unto itself.
Gourmet fare that covers all the food groups.
Perfect accompaniment for your Bloody Mary Brunch.
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 package (about 1 pound) frozen prepared puff pastry, thawed
- 9 eggs, brought to room temperature for 30 minutes, divided
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 Smithfield Hometown Original Fresh Sausage Roll, sliced into 8 patties, cooked and halved
- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears, cut into pieces
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry and cut into eight 4-5-inch squares and transfer to greased or parchment-lined baking sheets spaced about 1 inch apart. Using small knife, lightly score line 1/2-inch inside edges of squares to create framed border. With fork, prick several holes in center of pastry squares.
- Bake squares 7-8 minutes, or until pastry has puffed substantially yet not begun to brown. Remove from oven and immediately tamp down centers inside of scored line carefully with back of fork.
- Lightly beat 1 egg with water and brush outside frames of pastry with egg wash. Slightly overlapping framed pastry borders, equally divide and arrange sausage, asparagus and tomatoes in pastry squares, leaving centers open for eggs. Top each with cracked egg, seasoning with salt and pepper and sprinkling with cheese, if desired.
- Return to oven and bake 8-10 minutes, or until puff pastry is golden brown and eggs have just set. Let cool slightly and transfer tarts with spatula to serving plate and serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 218mgSodium: 313mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 14g
We provide nutritional information but these figures should be considered estimates as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Smithfield Foods
Like this? See all of our breakfast buffet recipes.
For a breakfast buffet guests prefer two-bite selections so they can sample several different breakfast foods. See our breakfast appetizer recipes with a variety of flavors so everyone will have something they adore in every food group.
Want more? See how to create a build-your-own Bloody Mary bar.
Everyone loves a Bloody Mary brunch, and especially if they can create their own cocktail. We show you how to set up a serve-yourself Bloody Mary bar and have breakfast appetizer & brunch recipes in case you want to go for the gold.
Like this? See our new recipes in the weekly Merrymaker Magazine.
Sign up for our weekly magazine and never miss a recipe.
Prepare in advance for the week’s upcoming daily holidays with our tips & printables. Be inspired by ideas to celebrate upcoming seasonal holidays with printables, party plans, recipes and fun ideas.