This Aztec hot chocolate is your spicy wake up call! The rich, chocolate flavor with the bite makes you glad to be alive.
Pump up the fun factor and use an Aztec molinillo to make it frothy.
The Molinillo De Madera Para Chocolate, is a Mexican hot chocolate stirrer & frother that is still used today. A molinillo [moh-lee-NEE-yoh] is an ancient Aztec pestle used to grind chocolate as it melts in hot milk when making hot chocolate.
You roll the long handle between your palms just like a boy scout trying to make fire with a stick and moss.
The rings on the molinillo whip air into the milk and make it frothy.
Available on Amazon.
Spicy Aztec Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 8 oz whole milk
- ¼ c cream
- 1 disc Mexican Dark Chocolate
- 1½ Tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground ancho chile pepper
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, bring milk and cream to a simmer over medium-low heat. (It should steam but not boil.)
- Break chocolate disc into pieces and add it and sugar to the milk. Whisk on medium-low heat, stirring constantly until chocolate and sugar are melted u0026 milk mixture is smooth. (If you used a molinillo it will also be frothy.)
- Stir in ancho powder and cinnamon.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Serve in large mug. Aztec hot chocolate is usually served without garnish because it’s so frothy with the molinillo. If you wish, you can top with whipped cream and garnish with cinnamon and ancho powder. (Add a cinnamon stick if you have one.)
u003cliu003eu003cemu003eWe provide nutritional information but these figures should be considered estimates as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.u003c/emu003eu003c/liu003e
Want more? See all of our hot chocolate recipes.
Like this? Sign up for our weekly newsletter magazine for more recipes & party information.
- Know the upcoming week’s daily holidays with celebration ideas so you can prepare ahead of time
- Get party planning guides & see party printables for this month’s calendar holidays and new party themes
- Be first to try out our newest recipes
- See the list of last week’s articles so you won’t miss a thing