All the fun of a fiesta with the refreshing sweetness of watermelon. Summer watermelon fiesta party ideas, recipes and even watermelon carving.
Pump up the fun in your summer fiesta by using an unexpected ingredient – watermelon!
Watermelon.org tells us that watermelon provides natural hydration with 92 percent water content, along with the antioxidant lycopene and the amino acid citrulline. It’s the perfect feast in the summer heat. They also show us how to carve the watermelon into a cactus bowl for the fiesta buffet table.
How to carve the watermelon into a cactus bowl.
- Medium-large oval or oblong watermelon (seeded or seedless)
- Cutting board
- Paring knife
- Dry erase marker
- Kitchen knife
- Cactus cookie cutter
- Small flower cookie cutters
- Wash watermelon under cool, running water and pat dry.
- On cutting board, place watermelon on its side and cut off 1/4 inch-1/2 inch from stem end; this will provide a sturdy base. Reserve end piece to make into small cactus.
- Stand watermelon upright on base. Use dry erase marker to draw simple outline of cactus shape.
- One-third up from bottom of watermelon, draw straight line around back, being careful not to go through cactus outline; this will create a serving bowl for the watermelon salsa. (Recipe to follow.)
- Use kitchen knife to cut around outline, leaving just bowl with cactus attached. Scoop out base to form bowl.
6. From pieces of watermelon that were cut away, use cookie cutters to make cactus pieces and flower pieces to decorate with, and chop remaining watermelon to make watermelon salsa and watermelon margaritas, or juice.
7. Attach toothpicks randomly around cactus to make thorns and decorate with watermelon flowers. Decorate bottom rind scrap with toothpicks to resemble short, round cactus.
8. Fill bowl with Fire and Ice Salsa and serve with tortilla chips.
Fire & Ice Salsa Recipe
See the Fire & Ice Salsa recipe with watermelon and jalapeno peppers.
See more Mexican watermelon recipes to add to your fiesta party.
Watermelon cocktails & beverages.
See Mexican games & party entertainment ideas for your fiesta party.
There are active games (like pinatas), thinking games and extreme games, mostly for adults. See all our Mexican entertainment ideas for your summer watermelon fiesta.