It’s finally spring & it’s gorgeous out there! Surprise family & friends today with a quick-as-a-bunny outdoor party featuring Carrot Garden Cupcakes with peek-a-boo filling. Easy step by step semi-homemade recipe. But don’t tell! Just gracefully accept all accolades.
These fun chocolate cupcakes with a peek-a-boo filling are a fabulous spring treat.
What is a semi-homemade recipe?
A semi-homemade recipe begins with store-bought items that makes the recipe quick to bake, perfection practically guaranteed, with the taste of making from scratch. Many of us have discovered how quick & easy semi-homemade recipes are, but Sandra Lee has taken it to new heights with her Semi-Homemade Cooking cookbooks* and show of the same name on the Food Network.
How is this recipe semi-homemade?
This recipe is considered semi-homemade because it uses a cake mix as a base. Why? Because cake mixes are scientifically balanced so they turn out perfectly every time. (Once you’ve had a few disappointing bake-from-scratch cakes & cupcakes, you’ll realize the joy of using a mix as a beginning point.)
But don’t follow the directions on the back of the cake mix box!
We’ve added a few ingredients that work a little cupcake magic. The batter will now be thick enough to keep any add-ins (like mini chocolate chips) from sinking to the bottom. So. . . if you want to add texture to your cupcake so it’s more like dirt, you can! Even without add-ins you will have the moistest chocolicious cupcakes with this cupcake recipe
How do you make the peek-a-boo carrot filling?
The step by step instructions for filling makes it oh-so-easy to recreate the recipe just as you see it.
You will need:
- Bakers bag for icing
- Tip 2A for the carrot
- Tip 352 for the leaves
Just follow the directions in the recipe. Easy-peasy. No worries!
Carrot Garden Cupcake Recipe
Servings: 1 dozen cupcakes
- Bakers bag and tips 2A and 352
- Muffin tin
- 12 Cupcake baking cups paper or silicone
- 1 Chocolate cake mix
- 1 chocolate pudding mix
- 1 c sour cream
- ½ c water
- ¼ c cocoa
- ¼ c vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp McCormick Pure Vanilla
- 1 Chocolate flavored creamy decorator icing
- 1 Vanilla creamy decorator icing
- 1 green food coloring
- 1 orange food coloring
- Oreo cookie crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place baking cups in standard muffin pan.
- Beat cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, cocoa powder, oil, food color, eggs and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed just until moistened, scraping sides of bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. (Do NOT follow directions on cake mix box.)
- Pour batter into 24 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire rack.
- Use a spatula to evenly spread chocolate icing onto tops of cupcakes. Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs. Chill until set, about 15 minutes.
- Use knife to cut out a triangular hole in center of cupcakes, almost to bottom of cupcake. Use tip 2A and orange icing to fill in center of cupcake and pipe about 1/4 inch above cupcake; pat smooth. Use tip 352 and green icing to pipe pull-out leaf of carrot tops.
Find more Spring goodie recipes at Wilton.com.
Want this Carrot Garden Cupcake recipe?
Get it delivered to your inbox. Immediate download so you can print it off and have a Carrot Garden party today.
And a bonus cupcake box printable. It looks like dirt. Really!
Please note that you will automatically added to our Merrymaker Newsletter with easy recipes, party ideas, freebies & more. Unsubscribe anytime, including after you download this recipe.