The watermelon and tomato salad is a classic. The combination of crisp watermelon, juicy tomatoes is a refreshing cold salad.
Cut the tomatoes and watermelon in cubes the same size. Store in separate plastic containers in the fridge, then toss together right before serving to keep the flavors fresh. They need to be chilled when served.
You can make the dressing ahead and store it in fridge. When serving, put the watermelon and tomatoes in a serving bowl, pour the dressing on and toss gently.
Watermelon and Tomato Salad
- 4 cups scooped out watermelon balls or chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese, optional
- Prepare tomatoes and watermelon and put in separate plastic containers in the fridge to keep chilled until serving.
- In bowl, combine chilled watermelon and tomatoes with the onion and basil.
- Whisk together oil and vinegar, pour over salad and gently toss. Put 1/2 cup in small bowls and sprinkle with feta cheese. Season to taste.
Recipe and photo courtesy of American Chemistry Council
Like this? See our new recipes – and more.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter magazine and get it all.