Here’s a wonderful summer breakfast recipe: watermelon chia seed muffins. Nutritious and delicious!
Watermelon Chia Seed Muffins for Summer Breakfasts
- 1 can nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup sucralose
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4cup chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup liquefied watermelon juice
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Heat oven to 375 F. Spray 12-piece muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine sugar, sucralose and lemon zest. Use fingers to rub zest into sugar until fragrant. Add flour, chia seeds, baking soda, baking powder and salt; thoroughly mix. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk oil, yogurt, watermelon juice and egg substitute until thoroughly blended. Add cherries, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Add liquid mixture to flour mixture. Gently toss until incorporated. Avoid overbeating or muffins will be flat and tough. Spoon evenly into muffin pan. Top each muffin with 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake 15-17 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Remove from oven, allow to sit 5 minutes then transfer muffins to cooling rack.
Photo and recipe courtesy of National Watermelon Promotion Board
Want more? See all of our muffin recipes.