It’s a beautiful day & everyone is home. Start with a breakfast that kids will adore. Watermelon Oat Flour Waffles from scratch. Make the watermelon cubes small enough to fit in the waffle holes. They’ll love it!
A bowl of watermelon cut into cubes or scooped into balls is always welcomed at breakfast, but here are some ideas from the National Watermelon Promotion Board to try as well.
- Top a grain-based cereal like corn flakes or oatmeal with bite-size bits.
- Make Watermelon Donuts for a grab-and-go delight, perfect on hectic mornings.
- Freeze cubes overnight and use them in place of ice with your favorite smoothie ingredients.
- Put a twist on a breakfast favorite with these Watermelon Oat Flour Waffles.
- Add a layer of oat crumble to a bowl of watermelon balls for a savory, satisfying treat.
- Cut a watermelon slice in shapes with a cookie cutter.
These Watermelon Oat Flour Waffles by Renata Stanko won an honorable mention in the 2018 Use the Whole Watermelon recipe contest. The fluffy waffles take on a pink hue from the watermelon juice and pair well with sweet powdered sugar, tart Greek yogurt and dish elevating mint. If you have any
You will need a Belgian or regular waffle iron for this recipe.
Watermelon Oat Flour Waffles
- 1 cup old-fashioned or regular oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup watermelon juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 egg whites
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 3 cups watermelon, diced 1/2 inch
- fresh mint leaves
- powdered sugar (optional)
- honey (optional)
- Preheat Belgian or regular waffle iron.
- In blender, process oat flakes into flour.
- In bowl, mix oat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in watermelon juice and oil.
- Whip egg whites into stiff peaks and fold into batter.
- Spray hot waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into waffle iron and bake 3-4 minutes, or according to waffle iron instructions. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Garnish waffles with yogurt; watermelon cubes; mint sprigs; powdered sugar, if desired; and honey, if desired.
u003cliu003eu003cemu003eWe provide nutritional information but these figures should be considered estimates as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.u003c/emu003eu003c/liu003e