It only takes a few minutes, and it’s so easy to make. But boy does it make a difference! Go ahead put homemade cream cheese icing on your cake and take it to amazing.
Is cream cheese icing good for decorating?
Cream cheese icing has less sugar, which goes better with a cake that is sweet, like a carrot cake with raisins. It’s texture is perfect for decorating in any way you like, spreading or with a pastry bag to pipe the icing. The color is a tad darker than white icing, so it looks “vintage” for a more nostalgic feel. It is the preferred icing on carrot, banana and pumpkin cakes and cupcakes.
How much cream cheese icing do I need to frost a cake?
This recipe makes enough cream cheese icing to frost one single layer round cake, a 9×13 sheet cake or 12 cupcakes. If you are making a two-layer cake with icing in the center, please double the recipe.
Homemade Cream Cheese Icing
Best cream cheese icing recipe
- ½ c butter (room temperature)
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 c icing sugar
- 1 tsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Using a handheld or upright mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese for 3 minutes on medium.
Add the icing sugar, cream and vanilla and beat on low until the sugar is incorporated, then beat on high until the icing is fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Spread on cake or cupcakes as desired.
Refrigerate before serving.
We provide nutritional information but these figures should be considered estimates as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Want more? See all of our cake recipes.
Want to see our new recipes – and more?
- Pinterest – hundreds of vision boards with party themes & recipes
- Facebook – hear about the bizarre holiday or “national day” today, our newest article, guides & party printables
- Twitter – get in on the conversation
Sign up for our weekly Merrymaker Magazine
- Know the upcoming week’s daily holidays with celebration ideas so you can prepare ahead of time
- Get party planning guides & see party printables for this month’s calendar holidays and new party themes
- Be first to try out our newest recipes
- See the list of last week’s articles so you won’t miss a thing