These cute peanut butter blossom cookies are also known as Hershey Kiss peanut butter blossom cookies because the “blossom” is a chocolate kiss that goes oh-so-well with peanut butter. Chocolate + PB = happiness.
Did you know: the peanut butter blossom cookie is Pillsbury’s most famous bake-off recipe!
It was only a third place winner at the Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1957, but now the recipe is in the Smithsonian Institute! In fact, it is “the Doughboy’s favorite cookie recipe ever”.
Peanut Butter Blossom Cookie
- 1/2 c sugar (+ 1/4 c for decorating, if using)
- 1/2 c packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 c shortening
- 1/2 c peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ c flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 24 Hershey Chocolate Kisses
- Cream sugars, shortening, peanut butter and egg until fluffy. (It will appear a lighter color.)
- In a separate bowl or sifter, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, then blend into peanut butter mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Scoop dough and roll into a small one-bite sized ball about ½”, then roll in sugar and place onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until set with the edges just barely browning. (If you cook them too long, they will be too hard.)
- Unwrap Hershey chocolates while cookies are baking.
- As soon as you remove the cookies from the oven, press a chocolate (flat side down) into the center of each cookie. DO NOT press them right to the bottom, just enough for them to stay. Cookies will crack around the edges, that’s fine.
- Let them set for a minute. Then lift onto rack to cool completely. (When lifting, make sure you have the cookie spatula under whole cookie. These are top heavy and will tumble off head-first if the spatula isn’t firmly underneath.)
Learn more about the blossom cookie, and see all the recipes.
It is an amazing history of how “necessity is the mother of invention”, an underdog third place winner becomes the best ever, and a favorite cookie evolves in so many different recipes for every holiday and party theme.
And, of course, the best part is all the recipes! Peanut butter blossom cookie ideas for every holiday, macaroon blossom cookie recipe, the chocolate blossom cookie & tips to create your own blossom cookie recipe to go with your party theme.